Every single one of us, regardless of our relationship or job status, sense of financial security or healthful conditions, knows the gut-wrenching feeling of insecurity.
This emotional state can waver between manifestations over work-related competence, bikini-ready tummies, and overall personal satisfaction and fulfillment.
We often wonder when that blissful moment of unadulterated fulfillment will ever bestow itself. So in the elusive search for contentment, we attempt endless strategies throughout our days, careers, and lifetimes seeking a taste of what we can only believe to be attainable. Why else would we try so hard?
Well, here are a few things to try to take the "trying" out of the equation. Most of these simple attempts at both temporary and long-term equanimity don't require money, materials, or blueprints and master plans.
You've heard that the most beautiful things in life are often unexpected and that life happens when you are busy making other plans. And hopefully you've had first-hand experiences that prove that sometimes, these cliched and overused sentiments are of the truest vein.
Remember that these suggestions are meant to brighten and refresh an otherwise anxiety-ridden or overwhelming hour, day, or mood.
We'll leave the big picture plans on how to live the rest of your life up to you...
For now, just read on and try some of these momentary refreshers that just might unexpectedly help you live the rest of your life.
1. Stare at something in your room that you've never noticed before.
2. Commit to wear an unflattering article of clothing in your closet to work or play and take note of how your self-awareness matures you rather than embarasses you.
3. Change your expectations instantly when you feel disappointment creeping in.
4. Sing aloud when preparing a meal.
5. Leave a song on the radio that you hate if you know someone that you care about it really likes it.
6. Pay attention to your morning ritual, step-by-step, and make changes that allow you to become more like the person you want to be.
7. Take a shower by candlelight — alone.
8. Ask a friend to borrow a prized possession of theirs and take care of it for a few days or weeks.
9. Call people by name more often.
10. When you find yourself crying, look in the mirror (or smart phone's camera in selfie mode) and force yourself to make a silly face.
11. Hold your own hand in times of trouble.
12. Make a list of all the things you are in love with.
13. Make a gratitude list when anxiety abounds.
14. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
15. Drive with no music on and listen to your own breathing and the sounds of the world around you.
16. Look for the moon tonight and make every effort to look at it for awhile.
17. Pretend your heart is a friend's heart. You'll be kinder to it for sure.
18. Daydream like you did when you were a little kid. Pretend your bike is a pony, imagine that the man of your dreams has just given you the most amazing of kisses as you drift into sleep, or when you take a walk alone, pretend that your imaginary friend is right there with you.
19. Remember that sometimes the world around you can bring more romance into your life than a partner if you're paying attention.
20. Do it — whatever it is you've decided will bring you closer to your goals — even though it's scary or no one else understands.
Photo credit: Christa M. Thomas